Thursday, August 4, 2011

My SUMMER IS coming to a close (sniff, sniff)


Not long ago, I visited with my Mom at the nursing center and she asked if I would bake her a yellow cake...with banana filling....and a rose....sooooo,  I looked in the fridge at all my little containers of buttercream  and here it is...Mom's yellow cake with one of the last of my large roses and...can you tell, I had a lot of yellow BC?  Ahhh...it feels good to empty that container of BC. My husband is already looking through the classifieds for used refrigerators! yeah! 

Know your color wheel and you can mix left over BC's to make some really cool colors----like the pink and yellow makes peach here.  Yes, for many people this is just understood, but I'm always seeing something for the first time, so like I said yellow and pink make peach :)

I loaded the yellow buttercream I had on hand in on one side of the piping bag  and put the peach  on the other side.


Reverse swirls were made with tip 21 CLICK HERE TO SEE A PHOTO LINK  for lots of #21's.  You can even purchase tips on EBay.  Click HERE to go to EBAY...but come back :)   Check them out...you might even find a whole set.  Wow, maybe I should go there now.

Anyway for these swirls I just made question marks forwards and backwards----and as you can see, I was talking and not concentrating on their directions, but my Momma loves me.  You just have to do it and not think too hard...but concentrating on direction, well, that's kind of important! As a disclaimer----I am STILL practicing myself.  See?  You don't have to ALWAYS make everything perfect, but you DO have to enjoy what you're doing.  And remember....some mistakes taste mighty good!

Cooked fillings  keep for a little while, but are best fresh and are really pretty tasty like this banana cream filling recipe HERE at Cake Central. 


I have also made variegated color shells and flowers by striping my piping bag with a different color-directly from the jar (be careful not to get any icing  or anything else for that matter on your brush-don't ask questions...just don't do it, or your color will not be happy with you) and loading with a complimentary colored buttercream that I already had on hand. This makes pretty flowers as well!

....peach BC with a strip of Wilton Yellow down the inside of the bag on one side and a strip of N0-Taste Red on the opposite side...and when you reposition the bag you get a different variation.



Speaking of flowers, like I said, I'm running a bit low on my rose stash and time. Besides that, this cake
is an ORANGE  cake with cooked pineapple custard filling.  An altered white cake with orange jello added to the batter---just one small box---sugar free, even.  So that makes this a diet cake?  emmmm, right..... sure.... works for me.  And I substituted 1/3 buttermilk for part of the water (head down,  yes,  I confess...shhh... it's a box mix) But I did re-birth it with my own touches.  And That DOES count!  Anyway this is another "trial" cake.  First timer.  Let you know how it turns out later...unless, of course...everyone hates it....then, I will cry.  But, hey, experiments do sometimes work and sometimes not. 

The icing is on trial as well.  Will let you know the verdict later.

Boy, I'm really experimenting on these folks coming to visit.  What are friends for, except to tell you that you are absolutely brilliant or ask you what you were thinking?    Instead of roses this time, I thought I'd put some orange slices on top.  They say, "Psst....hey I'm sitting on an orange cake" or something like that.  Didn't have any dried pineapples or cute ideas to add the pineapples to the top.  Thought about the filling on top, but just didn't do it.  The flower idea just stuck with me and I kept it pretty simple.  Maybe I'll add a leaf before they arrive....and maybe this is just as the saying goes, "Stick a fork in me and call me done."



 Well, I enjoyed visiting with you.  And I look forward to meeting you some day....here....on the blog, of course.

(and I plan need to make left over BC  roses...later....)

No comments:

Post a Comment