Monday, January 16, 2012

A Baby Shower Firetruck....

Don't you just love different ideas?

My (baker) daughter has a friend.  Her friend has a sister who is expecting her first baby.  So put those two thoughts together and you still might not see the connection.  But the father to be is a policeman...still a bit confused?  Now when I tell you that the mommy to be is a FIREMAN...or fire woman.....maybe fire person, everything should begin to click (except what do you call a lady fireman?)

Being as my baker-daughter bakes awesome pastries, cookies and cakes, but does not feel any warm, fuzzy feelings when it comes to decorating them with anything but frosting and a few swirls...she asked me if I would decorate it.  (Now I'm like a decorator wanna be in training--but I said YES)  I do love to try!

Then came the first request...a sugar baby cradle.   SURE!  (Now, mind you, I had already agreed to make and decorate the cookies, which we did for the first time with a candy monogram)  You'll see.  But back to the cake...a few days before...."Mom do you think you could make a firetruck to put on top?"  (cough, sputter, gasp, time to think...................................) "Why sure!"  The wheels had already begun to spin.  I just wasn't sure I could get the mental picture into sugar and fondant.  But here 'tis:



First the cookies...
bake, outline, flood, dot and then...all for the sake of flavor, and because we have a gracious friend who doesn't mind our "experiment",  pour candy "B's" one at a time to the tune of 50-ish.  But it was WORTH it.  Tasted so much better than the fondant letters I've cut out before on the logo cookies.  AND IF I HAD a tray of "B" molds it would have taken no time!  <clearing throat> That IS something to look into!  I know, I know, I could have just piped B's.  But then we would never know, would we?


 Cookies all packaged, ribboned, boxed and ready to travel :)
Out of box and into display basket for guests.
I'm telling you this was the cutest setting to host a shower.
All in a rustic cabin decorated in period furniture.



NOW, back to the cake :)




Rice Krispy treats are just the neatest things...stack, smooth a bit, shape/cut and cover in fondant.  Oh, and most importantly don't forget to do that math.  I THOUGHT I was doing it right...and it did work out, but it was close!

I've got to get better at picture taking the important steps so I can actually POST them.  You see, I first made the road. And, of course, NO PIC.  Well, just envision measuring and cutting two pieces of cake board, "gluing" them together with edible gum paste glue or similar.  Coloring fondant and covering the "road". Add stripes and  let it dry a bit---
Then continue with the truck.  I looked through LOTS of images on Google.  And had to find a pic that helped me simplify such a complex piece of truck.

like these...



(loose interpretation, huh?)

Then the idea hit me...a trailer with a baby cradle being pulled behind.  So exciting, these random thoughts.  In fact so exciting that I began to picture myself making the mom wave from the window and the police-dad either leading them in a squad car or .... oh Brenda get real!   And I of course told myself  "Self, you just don't have the time to get all that together for tomorrow"  Yeah, that's right...has nothing to do with skill level  (cough, cough)

Anyway, I already had a few cradles I had been saving (never picturing them behind a firetruck) but it just got "funner and funner"  and late into the night you sometimes get that way.... crazy or I mean creative.


And another note to self  "Brenda, bring your camera"  It just makes sense.
The location was just as cute as a button.
A rustic tea room on the north side of town.
And If I remember the name of it I will put it here.
AND...if I would have taken  pictures, I would've posted HERE.

But anyway, here is a photo taken via cell phone while assembling the cake. 

Chocolate (to die for) cake with Heavenly frosting by my daughter with a firetruck on top!   
Oh, and I almost forgot, the wagon wheels are those mini sugar-free Murray's on the trailer and Oreos on  the fire truck. 
The truck has white candy-piped  ladders, fondant "windows" and a bumper complete with  gum drop lights (just roll out and cut)  And AGAIN, my  pictures would have shown that, wouldn't they? Anyway, it was a "fun" cake to do and friend and sister/mom did enjoy.

Maybe you've already done a Fire Truck
PLEEEZE let me see. 

Congratulations to Mom, Dad and Baby "B"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment