Friday, December 16, 2011

Happy Birthday Jesus~The Reason to Celebrate

In this day and time of political correctness and short fuses, I believe it is refreshing to just go back to your roots.  My roots are grounded in a traditional American Christmas...you know....the one that's been around for a while.  The one that say unabashedly "Merry Christmas".  The one that celebrates with a tree, lights and Santa.  The one that displays a nativity scene...Yep, that's me.

So it comes as no surprise that our Grandson's Christian Academy Principal would ask my daughter and I to bake a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake for their refreshment time after the Christmas program.  The SURPRISE was the size.

Will you bake a cake?  Why, sure!  Then later came the details...like "just a pretty cake"  "one that says Happy Birthday Jesus" and "just a double full......"

Double Full????  I don't even believe I've even touched a double full sheet cake, but here it is:

It all started with leaves.....50/50 fondant/gum paste was colored and combined.  Leaves were cut for holly with my mini cookie cutter and then I thought.....I have a bigger fondant cutter that I think would make a good poinsettia leaf.  Veins and detail were added and then they were left to dry.


 Next, more fondant was taken out with less than a 50/50 of fondant/gum paste, was tinted pink and then red with Super Red gel by Wilton. The ropes were made and twisted, then left to dry. 

These actually were made first. Red poinsettias from royal icing....days before the baking. Centers are yellow sugar pearls.




Carefully, carefully...mix, prep pan, pour, bake,....bake......bake....did I say bake?

Cool in pan, turn out on rack, cool more and then when it is completely cool, store in the freezer for an hour or two.
This is probably old hat for you guys, but I'm gonna tell you...it was NOT easy to do alone. Lots of time for prayer and conversations with the Lord and after a mistake  several mistakes (learning opportunities)....cakes were stacked, and crumb coated. Do I have enough icing? Why NO. Mix, mix mix mix more and more.


Foam core board...which I FORGOT to wrap in the decorative food paper.  It did work fine, but the covering on the foam core will show "grease" spots.  The icing contributed.  But it was almost unnoticeable.

Don't think this cake can go it alone...so a piece of plywood (covered in a Christmas table cloth) was a MUST!

I really do believe that I baked ALL day! My daughter did come to help and stayed for as long as she could...but only one half-sheet could bake at a time. Each sheet held about 4 - 5 cake recipes....and a total of 45 cackle berries. I'd never heard eggs named by an other name until I came into my husband's family............so "cackle berries" Ha! Ever heard that one?



 It was somewhere about this point that I began to breathe again.
Why is it that the final touches just make the cake?
Flowers that can't be eaten....even though some try.
But I stepped back and began to feel some relief.
Then the transport help arrived and heart palpitations increased again.

And you know what?  In the end, it's just cake folks.
But somehow it doesn't feel like that until it is finished and on display.



Final touches at the fellowship hall and the cake came alive. 

 One minor transporter repair and final piping, attach the rest of the flowers and the "J" 

I look all serious and.....



There...is that better?
I am breathing again.

AND....
I could never have done it without the help of my daughter in the kitchen and as my mental, moral and spiritual support...


My "coach"



Now, we know that Jesus didn't get a piece of His cake, but the whole room sang Happy Birthday and gave Him a little bit of the honor He deserves.

So, Dear Lord I hope you were pleased, with more than a little cake.
I trust our attitudes and lives reflect you SWEET SPIRIT daily, but
this is the reason for all the celebration.
One little child born more than 2000 years ago,
Promised thousands of years before His arrival,
Lived a perfect life (God came to us in human form to experience our trials and pains)
Gave His ultimate sacrifice
Arose
Is coming again for those who put their complete trust in Him.

YES!  Happy Birthday Jesus!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment